blog & journal | pics & video | prospective student info | quotes | contact info

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Monday, November 06, 2006
...In which I am shamefully American
Posted by Jenevieve

So, December exams are coming up. Since we are being tested on 15 subjects, I have been (as best I can) putting my nose to the grindstone, making study schedules and even following them sometimes. I've realized that when I'm at home, the internet is useful but ultimately too tempting, so I've been forced to find some extra-flatular space to study.

Have I found a cool niche, a hole-in-the-wall place that sells 40p tea and scones? Or a neighbourhood pub, where the local barman knows my drink and the regulars nod a greeting as I come in the door?

No. Instead, I trudge up the hill to the Royal Mile, so named for the castle on one end and the palace on the other. I look past the Scottish tourism center and several souvenier shops, past the 10-year old juggling fire on the street and the woman in a velvet cloak and vampire fangs advertising a haunted dungeon tour, and turn left.

Into Starbucks.


Yeah, I know. But seriously, they have chai and space to work. They are busy enough to keep me from getting distracted but not so busy I feel bad staying for hours. And most importantly, they accept credit cards (thanks dad!), which is not the tradition of any other coffee shop around.

So if you come to visit Edinburgh, I can take you on a whirlwind trip to Starbucks!

Um, yeah.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _