blog & journal | pics & video | prospective student info | quotes | contact info

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Sunday, November 12, 2006
Mmm... Loaf Cake
Posted by Jenevieve
Tomorrow heralds the birthday of (big) Emma. This is not to be confused with the birthday of (little) Emma that was Saturday before last. I wanted to make her a cake, and I decided to make her that Really Good Chocolate Cake I make. You know the one, Spokane folk, as that chocolately bundt cake that I made all the time, with the sour cream and the chocolate chips (or chunks) and the cocoa powder. That one.

So I looked in my "Cake Doctor" book and figured out that now that I have chocolate pudding mix (thanks, mom!) I could actually make it! Yippee! So I looked through the ingredients list, marking the things we had and the things we needed. Eggs? Check. Sour cream? Run to Tesco. Bundt cake pan? Oh...

Bundt pans, like many things we take for granted in the U.S. (spicy salsa, cup o' noodles, real grocery stores, etc.) do not exist here in Scotland. I found a tube pan (like for angel food cake) at Ikea for £9 ($18!), but decided against it. But the bundt is nowhere to be.

So, her cake is going to be made in loaf pans (thanks again, mom!). Yup. Hey, once it's sliced with some once cream spooned over it, nobody will care that it's a loaf.

And seriously, I can't wait to eat that chocolate cake.

Update: It was delicious! Especially since choco chips were too expensive, so I chopped up almost a pound of dark and milk chocolate and put the chunks in instead. Oh, holy deliciousness.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _