blog & journal | pics & video | prospective student info | quotes | contact info

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Something new every day
Posted by Jenevieve
I learned a few new things yesterday:
--There are stomachaches and there are stomachaches.
--NHS 24, the after-hours health care hotline, is pretty good at telling you you're fine, but they are also pretty good at telling you you need to be seen by a doctor RIGHT NOW.
-- Aaron and Jo, a couple from church, are exceptionally good people who will drive you to the hospital, offer to stay with you there, go home, and pick you up later to take you back home, all in the midle of the night.
--The ER here is just as lame and depressing as the ER in the States.
--When you tell the nurse you're a vet student and she says, "Well what do you think your symptoms sound like? Vet students are usually good at diagnosing acute illness", she actually expects an answer.
--I was partway right. I did have pancreatitis (which I guessed) but I also have cholecystitis due to gallstones (which is not a common differential in dogs).
--If they are going to give you morphine, they really wish you would stay in the hospital.
-- If you tell them you're a mother of an infant, they will let you go home with strict and dire warnings to come back straight away if something gets worse.
--Opioids are goooood at pain relief. They do, however, make me feel like I'm sitting in a thick intoxicating mist all the time.
--Did I mention I have an exam tomorrow?

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _